Welcome to CSI Atlanta –
The Construction Specifier’s Institute
The History of CSI
The Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) was founded in 1948 by a group of government agency design and construction professionals who thought the construction industry needed better organization of construction information. Today CSI has over 120 chapters helping all participants in the construction industry to advance building information management and the education of project teams to improve facility performance. CSI has created numerous standards, formats and practice tools to improve the organization of construction, information, communication and education for all members. They provide a better understanding of the contributions and roles of all project team members.
Congratulations to our very own Casey F. Robb, FCSI, Lifetime Member, CDT, CCPR for receiving CSI’s High Honor – Distinguished Member
CSI’s highest honor, Distinguished Member, is presented to Louis Medcalf, FCSI, CCS® and Casey F. Robb, FCSI, Lifetime Member, CDT®, CCPR™.
These two members are recognized for their outstanding careers in the AECO (architecture, engineering, construction, and owner) industry and notable support for, and advancement of, CSI. Louis and Casey become CSI’s 56th and 57th Distinguished Members.
Atlanta Chapter of CSI – History
The Atlanta Chapter of CSI was founded on February 15th, 1959 by over 30 members of the local design and construction community. They believe the local industry needed a new type of organization to promote closer relations and cooperation among the professions including architects, contractors, manufacturers, and others engaged with the building construction industry. They saw the need to organize construction information while using the diversity of its members to exchange knowledge for the benefit of all. As the only CSI chapter in the state of Georgia, they continued to grow, becoming the largest chapter in the Southeast Region. Over CSI Atlanta’s vibrant history, several members have risen to the highest levels of leadership in both the SE Region and the National Institute. Today CSI strives to help members with education, certification and building an environment to expand professional networks. The Atlanta chapter hosted the annual CSI National convention in 1962 and then again in 1992. The Atlanta Chapter has won numerous regional and national awards for technical excellence, outstanding chapter service to the construction community. The original Atlanta Chapter leaders had a great amount of influence on the early development of the original Master Guide Specification Systems, CSI Manual of Practice, the original 16 division CSI MasterFormat and the 3-part section format still in use today. Altanta also assisted in developing the first Certification Programs like the CDI. CSI continues its 60 plus year tradition of excellence and look forward to serving its members, professional groups and overall construction community.